Thursday, October 23, 2008

A night of thought!

On my way to the movie theater I was stopped in line at a red light and there was a homeless man on the side of the road looking for work. Now typically I don't give money. Usually I don't have any cash on me. For some reason this man's stature grabbed me. I looked down towards my cup holders and realized I had a $5 bill sitting there. It had been there for a while and I had forgotten about it. A song came to my head (which I have included below) and I opened my window and handed him the bill. He told me his name and how he was looking for work and how he had been out on the street for six weeks. And even though most people might say that he was just giving me a story, for some reason he felt real and genuine. He so appreciate of the little money I gave him I almost thought I would cry. WOW who knew $5 could make someone so happy. That's just enough to get him a cheeseburger, a drink, and maybe some fries.

Now in the long run as the night continued I can look back and see why this happened on this particular night that it did. I didn't know the movie we were about to see...
So getting back to the movie my friend Angela invited me to go see a movie with her called Saving God.. Awesome movie, but it brought up a lot of emotion for me. I am not an emotional person, so I thought anyway, and I was in tears.

It was part of the Florida Christian Film Festival and at the end the director of the film festival came up and spoke. He made a comment that really stuck with me, it came to the point of pretty much you never know when it may be the end and do you have any doubts that you will be going to heaven... It really kind of grabbed me... I think I was slightly shaken at the point. I'm not sure where I stand on that, I believe in God, but that's not the whole thing.. I need to get further than that.

On the way home from the theater at about 11:15 I was stopped at a red light with two cars in front of me. The light turned green and we started to move. Oddly I hesitated for a second not letting my foot off the gas. I was still moved by the movie's message and I figured oh I must be tired. I just happen to glance to my left and saw a car speeding towards a red light. He ran the red light as we were all about to go. Luckily no one had started going yet, but my mind was racing with holy cow was that a sign?????

So last night while I lay in bed trying to fall asleep, thinking about what I had just seen I thought to myself what sins have I done and what makes me the person I am today. I couldn't sleep I tell you, my mind was swimming with thoughts. I closed my eyes and I felt myself thinking and talking and thanking the man upstairs for every opportunity I have had and then I said I'm sorry for all the things I've asked for that seem so petty now in the big picture....

The song..
here's a man standing on the corner
With a sign sayin "will work for food"
You know the man
You see him every morning
The one you never give your money to
You can sit there with your window rolled up
Wondering when the lights going to turn green
Never knowing what a couple more bucks
In his pocket might mean

What if he's an angel sent here from Heaven
And he's making certain that you're doing your best
To take the time to help one another
Brother are you going to pass that test
You can go on with your day to day
Trying to forget what you saw in his face
Knowing deep down it could have been his saving grace
What if he's an angel

3 comments:

ScrapAddict said...

Amen sista. Glad you were touched and shown....

Kara Ward said...

Amazing story...it makes you believe. Kara

Anonymous said...

wow Heather, this is such a touching story you shared.
HUGS to you